Breath sampling is a valuable approach for obtaining information used for disease diagnosis, monitoring of metabolic stress and personal exposure to chemicals. Breath samples can be collected using a number of techniques, which can then be used with thermal desorption to extract and concentrate the VOCs, maximising sensitivity for analysis of trace-level target compounds while minimising interferences.
With the growing interest in breath monitoring, alternatives have emerged to the long-established use of Tedlar® bags for sampling breath.
Markes’ BioVOC-2™ is an easy-to-use device for sampling of VOCs in breath that transfers the volatiles directly onto sorbent tubes for analysis by thermal desorption.
Benefits of breath sampling
- Representative of VOCs in the bloodstream.
- Non-invasive, unlike traditional blood and urine monitoring.
- Eliminates time-consuming sample preparation prior to GC analysis.
- Avoids the need for clinically trained personnel to collect samples.
- Allows VOCs indicative of a variety of medical conditions to be rapidly profiled, including pulmonary disease, asthma, and asbestos-induced lung cancer.